Work for Us
Students from all majors are encouraged to apply for work in the Writing Center. Not only is the Writing Center a friendly learning community, but working as a tutor in the Writing Center enhances writing, interpersonal communication, learning, and leadership skills, furthering the pursuit of personal and professional goals. In addition to tutoring writing, tutors receive internationally-recognized CRLA tutor certification and gain additional experience through project-based learning in areas such as technical writing, teaching, editing, social media management, and research.
We’re now hiring for Summer and Fall 2017.
Become a Writing Tutor
To be considered for a writing tutor position, applicants must be able to
- work a minimum of 8 hours per week
- attend a weekly training meeting on Thursday mornings (8:00-8:50 a.m.)
- work for at least two semesters
- complete a credit-bearing, paid academic internship (English 399R) OR complete a 4-week, paid transition tutor training (applicants with university or college-level writing tutoring experience)
Application materials consist of a resume, a one-page cover letter (addressed to Dr. David Stock, properly formatted, and polished), two samples of academic writing (one from a class in your major), and a faculty reference.
We are currently accepting applications for Summer 2017 and Fall 2017. We welcome those with previous tutoring experience and those interested in our internship.
Successful applicants will demonstrate
- excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- strong interpersonal and academic skills
- maturity and professionalism in workplace settings
- ability to help others learn and develop as writers
- commitment to ongoing learning and professional development
If you have questions about the application process or the internship, please contact us at email@example.com.
English 399R Internship
The English 399 R is a rigorous academic internship introduces students to theories and methods of peer tutoring in writing while providing hands-on tutoring experience in an apprenticeship environment.
Applicants with previous writing tutoring experience may be eligible to complete a transition tutor training in place of the internship.
Become a Receptionist
Receptionists work with all staff members to manage the day-to-day operations of the Writing Center. To apply, check Student Employment for any openings.