Students from all majors are encouraged to apply for work in the Writing Center. Not only is the Writing Center a friendly learning community, but working as a tutor in the Writing Center enhances writing, interpersonal communication, learning, and leadership skills, furthering the pursuit of personal and professional goals. In addition to tutoring writing, tutors receive internationally-recognized CRLA tutor certification and gain additional experience through project-based learning in areas such as technical writing, teaching, editing, social media management, and research.
Become a Writing Tutor
To be considered for a writing tutor position, applicants must be able to
- work a minimum of 8 hours per week
- attend a weekly training meeting on Thursday mornings (8:00-8:50 a.m.)
- work for at least two semesters
- complete a credit-bearing, paid academic internship (English 399R) OR complete a 4-week, paid transition tutor training (applicants with university or college-level writing tutoring experience)
Successful applicants will demonstrate
- excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- strong interpersonal and academic skills
- maturity and professionalism in workplace settings
- ability to help others learn and develop as writers
- commitment to ongoing learning and professional development
Application materials consist of a resume, a one-page cover letter (addressed to Dr. David Stock, properly formatted, and polished), two samples of academic writing (one from a class in your major), and a faculty reference (name and contact info).
The application deadline for the Winter 2018 internship is Monday, November 13, by midnight. Applicants with previous writing tutoring experience may apply at any time.
English 399R Internship
English 399R is a rigorous academic internship that introduces students to theories and methods of peer tutoring in writing while providing extensive hands-on tutoring experience in an apprenticeship environment.
Applicants with previous writing tutoring experience may be eligible to complete a transition tutor training in place of the internship.
If you have questions about the application process or the internship, please contact us at email@example.com.
Become a Receptionist
Receptionists work with all staff members to manage the day-to-day operations of the Writing Center. To apply, check Student Employment for openings.